The Front is an artist-run cooperative gallery in Montpelier, Vermont. Through exhibitions, events, and activities, members provoke curiosity and community engagement with visual art.
Visit us at 6 Barre St., Montpelier, Vermont
Fridays: 4-7 pm
Saturdays and Sundays: 11am – 5pm
Or by appointment.
The Front is a cooperative gallery, founded on cooperative ideals. We believe that art and the collective nature of our gallery membership can be medium for social change. It is in this spirit that we make a purposeful commitment to Equity through:
Acknowledgment: We acknowledge the Abenaki Nation and the unceded land that our gallery and the members who comprise the Front reside and make art upon. We also acknowledge that inequity exists among classes, races, ages, abilities, genders, and sexual orientations within our culture.
Accountability: We hold ourselves as a collective accountable to our commitment to address these inequities by educating ourselves on systems of oppression and how they are enacted within the Front, the art world, and within our community, taking deliberate actions toward a more equitable future for all.
Action: We have formed an Equity Committee to continue to look at the ways the Front can increase our equitable impact at large. We continue to discern what we have to offer our community in terms of our membership policies and procedures, addressing visibility of artists of color and partnering with other art organizations to increase outreach towards marginalized communities and create offerings which address reparation and equity for all.
- “Ray Brown: Tumbling Toward the End”, Seven Days, Mar.11, 2020
- “Ray Brown: Tumbling Toward the End”, Times Argus, Mar.14, 2020
- “Show 29 at The Front,” Art New England, Jan. 16, 2019
- “Show 23 Goes with the Flow at the Front Gallery,” The Montpelier Bridge, Jan 25, 2018
- “White and Color: Axel’s and The Front,” The Rutland Herald, January 20, 2018
- “The Front: a New Look at Local Artists”, the Rutland Herald, December 9, 2017
- Gallery Profile in Seven Days, May 4,2016
If you’d like to hear when we have an open call for members, please join our mailing list here: