We are not currently accepting applications for membership.
Thank you to those who have submitted applications for the recently closed deadline of June 15th. If you have yet to hear from us, you will soon!
We will be reviewing all applications in the coming weeks and making moves as quickly as makes sense.
Deadline: June 15, 2022
The Front gallery is seeking artists of all backgrounds who are interested in provoking curiosity, exchanging ideas, and promoting community engagement with the visual arts.
The Front is a cooperative gallery space located in downtown Montpelier, Vermont. It includes two large street-facing windows and plenty of walk-in traffic, and is always busy during Montpelier Art Walks. Members donate their time, energy, and financial support to keep the gallery running. We feature members’ work in about six group exhibitions alternating with six solo shows annually. Members also use the gallery for events including artist talks, performances, movie nights, and critiques.
The Front is dedicated to equity and inclusivity, and because of that we want to encourage all to apply, regardless of ability to pay. For those who are able, we are deeply grateful for additional contributions that help us meet expenses.
The Front is an artist-run cooperative gallery, structured as an L3C. That means members contribute the time, energy, and funds it takes to run everything. Being a member of the gallery means you are a part-owner of the Front. Members typically:
- Staff the gallery during open hours, usually one 3-hour shift per month
- Contribute member dues to keep things running – $50 a month is standard; $60 a month helps us offer memberships to those paying at a lower rate. In addition to dues, the Front takes a 15% commission on art sales.
- Show work in group shows every other month, and in solo shows in the intervening months—with some flexibility.
- Attend monthly group meetings in person or remotely.
- Serve on committees to handle tasks including finances, publicity, equity, hanging shows, upkeep, and events.
- Take part in critiques, artist talks, and general camaraderie as part of a group of fun and creative people!
If you would like to apply, please fill out the online application, which includes an artist’s statement, bio, and six images of your work. Deadline is June 15; you can expect a response by July 8th. You’ll need a Google account to use the online application– if that’s not an option for you, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for an email version of the application. If you need help or have questions, please contact Front member Richard Moore at email@example.com.