Call for new members!
Deadline: April 30
The Front is seeking artists of all backgrounds interested in provoking curiosity, exchanging ideas, and promoting community engagement with the visual arts.
The Front is a cooperative gallery space located in downtown Montpelier, Vermont. It includes two large street facing windows, and plenty of walk-in traffic, and is always busy during Montpelier Art Walks. Members donate their time, energy, and financial support to keep the gallery running. We feature members’ work in about six group exhibitions alternating with six solo shows annually. Members also use the gallery for events including artist talks, performances, movie nights, and critiques.
The Front is dedicated to equity and inclusivity, and because of that we want to encourage all applicants, regardless of ability to pay; for those who are able, we are deeply grateful for additional contributions that help us meet expenses.
The Front is an artist-run cooperative gallery, structured as an L3C. That means members contribute the time, energy, and funds it takes to run everything. Being a member of the gallery means you are a part-owner of the Front. Members typically:
- Staff the gallery during open hours, usually one 3-hour shift per month
- Contribute member dues to keep things running – $50 a month is standard; $60 a month helps us offer memberships to those paying at a lower rate. We do not consider ability to pay as criteria for membership. In addition to dues, the Front takes a 15% commission on art sales.
- Show work in group shows every other month, and in a solo show to be scheduled in collaboration with other members. (During covid, show schedules have been variable and flexible, but generally alternate between group and solo shows).
- Attend monthly (zoom) group meetings and serve on committees to handle tasks ranging from hanging art to planning events to publicity.
- Take part in occasional critiques, movie nights, artist talks, and general camaraderie as part of a group of fun and creative people!
If you would like to apply, please fill out the online application, which includes an artist’s statement, bio, and six images of your work. Deadline is April 30.